Wednesday, May 9, 2012

This Version Of Me

I've been meaning to leave a different impression on my friends for my recent convocation, and I decided to lose some weight. I guess I did it, judging from reaction from most people who hasn't seen me since January. Some ask me how did I did it, though I couldn't give them the details because the convo (I'll cover that in another post soon) was such a rush, so here is my side of the story, my story.

I have been chubby for almost my whole life, I love eating and cooking and baking, and shopping for clothes was always never a wonderful experience. Like most people who are dying to lose some weight, I have tried so many weight lose products and the only effect they had on me was wasting my money and time. And being a  university student, I have spent most of my time in front of my computer, exercising only my fingers. So, when we had our little new year eve countdown at a local KFC outlet, losing weight was once again on top of my new year's resolution, but this time, I really wanna make it happen.

The photo above was taken during our new year eve countdown, back then my weight was round 90kg plus. I don't know the real figure because stepping on the scale was so terrifying. Being obese (I never really could say this word out loud), I was kinda unhappy, and I was unhealthy. So right after Chinese New Year, it was time to set my once again #1 new year resolution into motion.

I started off by watching what I put in my mouth, I begin to stay off junk food and other food products which taste good but you know is not good for you. I put more vegies and fruit on my plate. I begin to tryout different exercise to find the right one which I could stick to. Eventually, I found that I could jog, well, not at first, but eventually. So, I begin to change my lifestyle, stage by stage and phrase by phrase. From the end of February 2012, I have made it a habit of jogging for around 1 hour every evening, if I'm too tired to jog, I walk. Then at the end of March, I added another jogging session for every morning. I spent less time in just sitting in front of my laptop, and take on more outdoor activities. Plus, in addition to a more healthy eating habit, I have banned myself from eating after 8pm, so no more late night snacking or supper. Once in a while, I do allow myself to eat out with my friend and care less about the calories intake and it's okay, because I never give up my exercise and my new eating habit.

I never estimate when will I finally see any result, but it just happen someday around mid-March when I accidentally put on my brother's shirt which I know was one size smaller than mine. I knew I must have lose some weight and maybe finally I was doing the right thing. Then I begin to record my weight throughout the process, and I noticed that my BMI had shift from being slightly obese to just a normal weight for a person my height, and now I could fit in all of my brother's clothes.

I'm not writing this to brag about my achievement, and I just want people to know that, if a guy as fat as I was before could do it, anyone else could do it too. Just don't give up on yourself. Everyone has the right to be a better version of themselves. This is the new version of me, and I'm 17kg lighter than I was 2 months ago.

       

No comments: