Monday, January 30, 2012

Lana: Before & After Her SNL Performance

Usually I will check out a new singer or a new movie after there have been so much buzz about it on the internet. So, lately it seems like everyone on the world wide web has been talking about this Lana Del Rey girl, whose album had just came out around the end of this month, entitled Born To Die.

It seems that she has been making the headlines since last year, when she debuted her 'Video Game' single, which was featured on Ringer (another tv show on the CW channel about twins who hate and wanna kill each other ). I couldn't remember which episode this song was featured on, because this ain't a song that will stick in your head after a first listen. Lana's voice is unique, kinda like British singer Birdy, but most of her song kinda took being emo up another notch. The music video for Video Game was released soon afterward, generating more buzz and so many views on Youtube.

More people who didn't knew who this girl was, got their fair share of gloomy husky voice and even knew ho to spell her name right, after her buzz-worthy performance on SNL. Some said it was the worst live performance on the history of SNL, some said it was unique, some said it was amazing. But I guess Lana wouldn't mind what people said, because her performance that night got people talking, and her album is just around the corner, this is what she need. So, if you ask me, about her SNL performance (I'll post the video after the bump), I don't it was as worst as some people said it was, I just got the feeling that she's just not good with singing live.

Her new album

So whether her songs are good or bad, I do think it's worth your time of the day to check out her album. Even if she got some room of improvement with her live singing, I do respect her as a creative artist as she does wrote her own music on her new album. And for those who has the impression that Born To Die has something to do with Lady Gaga's Born This Way, I can assure you that they are nothing alike. But I do love them both.

Her SNL performance of Video Game


No comments: